Tuesday, 13 May 2008

Mommy Dis.

I have dealt with discrimination in the past, because I am white. I lived in France as a Married, Mormon, American- just before the US invaded Iraq. (triple wammy) I may not have "thick skin" but I have learned not to be bothered by what others say and at the same time reflect on any possible truth. I can see a Hawaiian's claim that, "whites stole Hawaii", that being married at 20 is "crazy", that being Mormon is "weird and strict" and that being American makes me an "evil, co2 spueing, imperalistic, OGM eating, obese, imposer of values".

I went in for a job interview with a Venture Capital fund that just bought Foxtons UK. Nothing big, just me filling coffee, making photocopies or presentations, greeting clients... They wanted someone fluent in French. I wanted a laid-back part-time job where I might learn something.

My first interview went well, and I figured the second would also...Until, I met my interviewer: Barbi. A blond, blue eyed, size zero, look a like. I knew I was in hot water when she told me I didn't have any experience answering phones......She asked me why I wanted to work part-time. I answered, "well, I am married and have a baby." She stood up, and ended the interview.

As I stood up and left, I secretly hoped she would get terrible stretchmarks, saggy breasts, cellulite, sleepless nights - without having a baby. Take that Barbie!

2 comments:

abm said...

You wouldn't want to work for a boss like that - she would be horrible.

Anonymous said...

Lauren, I'm sorry that totally sucks! Good luck with the job hunt!